The Iranian government has recalled its envoy to Nigeria, Mr Saheed Kozechi.
According to information, Mr Saheed Kozechi was recalled this Wednesday in a decision by the Iranian government following serial and heavily government agency sponsored threats against the ambassador and embassy since the Zaria massacre.
The Nigerian military and Kaduna state government have been accused of killing hundreds of unarmed Shia Muslims in a two-day spat of terror in December last year.
The Nigerian military claimed the massacre was in retaliation for the minority Shia Muslims blocking the road of the military chief, a claim the movement has denied.
While global condemnation came from many nations over the atrocities, Iran was picked on as a hopeful target to transfer blame, according to common thought.
While no weapons were found in the possession of the Shia victims, in what has been called a Wahhabi plot, the Nigerian army in desperation to clear itself decided to paint a picture of Iran funded militarisation.
Several top ruling party affiliated persons have been seen in radical protests against the embassy.
Update: The Iranian ambassador had completed his term before leaving.
Sources said the Nigerian security chiefs were bitter that Mr Saheed Kozechi said goodbye to President Buhari in Aso Rock villa before leaving.