After one week of closure, the Courts in Ekiti State are set to reopen today for normal activities.
They were closed down on the orders of the Chief Justice of the state after thugs loyal to the Governor-Elect of the state, Ayodele Fayose unleashed violence on the court premises where a case against him is being heard.
However, the courts may remain closed, a source said last night, because of a directive from the Presidency to the police that the case against Fayose should not be allowed to go on.
Inspector General of Police Sulaiman Abba could not be reached for comments last night on an order he was said to have issued Police Commissioner Taiwo Lakanu, who also could not be reached as his mobile phone went unanswered.
Police spokesman Emmanuel Ojukwu also did not take his call.
Fayose is facing a legal test of his integrity.
A group of Ekiti stakeholders, the E-11, is claiming that he should not have participated in the June 21 election because he allegedly lied in his form.
Justice John Adeyeye, who is hearing the matter, was beaten up, his suit torn by pro-Fayose thugs who stormed the court, smashing property.
The National Judicial Council (NJC) has said the case should go on, with the police providing security and arresting all those who attacked the courts.
In what appears a distortion of the NJC’s recommendations, the police were last night erecting obstacles towards ensuring that the court does not open to hear any case.
The Police were said to have told judges that the environment was not safe enough for them to resume duty. They also suggested that the fence of the high court complex be raised before they could resume.
“All these are being done to give the judges a sense of insecurity,” a source said last night.
The E-11, has alleged death threats on its members through phone calls and messages over the suit.
The group’s chairman, Mr. Femi Ajiniran, who made this known in a statement yesterday, called on the police and the Department of State Security (DSS), among others, to track and bring the masterminds of the threats to book.
He explained that some of its members had been receiving threats after Justice Olusegun Ogunyemi was attacked and manhandled on the premises of the Ekiti State High Court on September 22.
Ajiniran added that the threat calls and messages persisted after another attack was meted on a judge of the high court, Justice John Adeyeye.
He noted that some members of the group like himself, Senator Babafemi Ojudu, Mr. Femi Ajayi, Mr. Niyi Ajakaiye and others got the threat calls and messages on September 23 through 08067368077 at 15.15pm;08057360202 (15.18pm);08064961472 (15.22pm); and 07030083553 (15.36pm).
The threats were also sent through 08139463115 at 15.40pm;080114355195 (16.22pm);08063196042 (16.18pm);08023518200 (16.13pm);07034959184 (16.00pm);08039427568 (16.48pm) and 08055557522 at 18.12pm.
Ajiniran added that the group’s members also received threat calls and messages through the following phone contacts: 07064932467 at 12.08pm;08067813113 (13.13pm) and 08065047910 (18.34pm).
He called on the police and the DSS to investigate those behind the threats.
Ajiniran noted that the callers threatened to destroy their property and attacked their families if they did not withdraw the suit against Fayose.