Racism in Ghana and Africa; How I almost got killed

6863
Share:

September 2nd, 2009; NewsRescue

by Abeeb Mobolaji
Tabi killed by Mobs in Cameroon. He might just not be a thief

Africa's jungle justice. Tabi, killed by Mobs in Cameroon. {postnewsline}

Firstly, let me thank the Almighty for being here, alive and able to tell my story after my near death experience yesterday on the streets of Accra, capital of Ghana. Had I died, this tale may very likely have been told very differently.

I am a Nigerian and also a Ghanaian citizen, I had lived almost 20 years of my life in the United States before deciding to move back to Ghana 3 years ago, and all had been going on relatively well, I had been enjoying the clime and integrating peacefully till yesterday when as I drove along Achimota road in Ghana, a commuter bus headed on collision course for my jeep. I swerved to avoid the absent mined driver, honking as I did so, but he came on and crashed into my vehicle.

I stopped and protested, telling them we must get the cops over to resolve the accident. In the civilized world, when there is an accident, both parties wait there till the cops come and measure the parameters, if a mild accident, they exchange insurance information and leave. In Nigeria, they decide who is to pay, and in most cases the poorer person starts to beg. Not so here, the passengers and driver reigned insults on me and I must confess, I returned same at them. Now, though my accent is diluted, much American and a little Nigerian, they immediately associated me with Nigeria and cursed at me for this affiliation. The driver tried to drive off, but I blocked his car protesting that we must wait for the authorities. Had I known, I should have tucked my tail between my legs and driven off as a third class citizen in ‘their’ country.

The assault

The raging passengers of the bus started punching at my car and damaging it, then they came toward the front and shattered my wind-screen, and injured my Ghanaian passenger.

Next, someone shouted- ‘Armed robber’. A bell rang in my head. The shouts increased- ‘he is a Nigerian, a Nigerian armed robber’. Blood rushed in my ears as I saw my life flash before me. The mob had started advancing toward me, the ‘armed robber’. I stepped on the gas, and thank goodness, there was no traffic ahead, I sped away for dear life.

The series of events that would have occurred was clear- had I waited a minute longer or had my car stalled, I would have been lynched possibly to death, as a ‘Nigerian armed robber’. Just a few days back I saw a suspected robber lynched to a coma on the streets in no different than would have been my fate that lovely day.

In Africa, lynching on the spot is common once the tag- ‘robber’ is assigned, and being a Nigerian in Ghana quadruples the response and reaction. I learned a valuable lesson. Never protest for your rights in Ghana as a Nigerian, simply bow and run for your life meekly or you may not live to tell the tale.

Increased hostility

There has been an increase of hostility and bigotry against Nigerians and to a lesser extent repatriate African Americans in Ghana. The reasons for this are multi-faceted- Poverty, frustration, lack of opportunities, relative success of foreigners to the common masses in the country, criminal behavior of some Nigerians and foreigners in Ghana and the like. To be frank, a good amount of armed robbers caught or killed in Ghana are foreigners and Nigerians. This is unfortunate but not a reason or justification for the increased hostility toward foreigners and hate crimes. Hate crimes are never justifiable, be they against Mexicans in America or Christians in Northern Nigeria.

Indeed the careful way we all know that Christians must tread in Northern Nigeria is now precisely how Nigerians must tread in Ghana. Be careful, be respectful, always accept fault, beg and run once temperatures flare or you are dead!

ghana23

Ghanaian trader

Foreign Black Africans are also victims of this very wicked reaction that I call ‘racism’, even though we are of the same race in South Africa, where we have seen increasing hostility and violence against foreign Blacks by the indigenous Blacks due to similar discontent at what they believe is a take over of opportunities from them by the foreigners.

Back to Ghana, my Nigerian friend, also a repatriate from the United states said that last month, because of the expensive car he drives, his neighbors called the cops on him for suspicion of being a fraudster, aka 419. He was arrested at home and his house ransacked and his computer confiscated and thoroughly searched for any evidence of such activity. When nothing was found he was released.

Another friend, actually a Ghanaian, but one who had lived almost all his life in the UK was erroneously called a Nigerian and lynched on the streets till a Ghanaian lady who had lived in Nigeria for over 30 years came out of her car and risked her life to defend and free him from likely death.

These events are getting more rampant and are very unfortunate. Africa is for us all, and our various Nations support each other and should continue doing so. Ghana borrows, oil from Nigeria to support its economy and both Nations engage in activity that help each others interests. There is free travel between west African nations all part of ‘Ecowas’ because we have decided to remove barriers and recognize that we are one family. Africa has suffered enough from colonialism and European racism, we should not punish ourselves further by intra-racism.

Mob actions are very dangerous and the human being must be conscious of the results that are likely from a false accusation, even a whisper- ‘armed robber’ which has a potential magnitude to lead to the loss of innocent life. How will a youth, probably hungry and frustrated who makes such a call feel, knowing for the rest of his life that the wicked, false accusation he presented, or the first punch he threw led to the death of a human being, that loves him and was also facing similar frustrations.

I have gotten through the eras of severe racism in the United States, eras of the very infamous New york Mayor, Giuliani, who made Blacks secondary citizens. Now, to come to Ghana, a country I call home, and go through much more deadly discrimination is disheartening at the least and deathly frustrating.

The whole world is looking up to Ghana and proud of the Nation as one of the most stable, peaceful and progressive Nations in the world, but the rapid transformation occurring to Ghana is very discouraging, and a Nation we all hope could be a beacon and big brother to African Nations is slowly but steadily leading itself down the same path that it was before and that has destroyed many other African Nations. The path of wickedness, intolerance, corruption, material greed and desperation for power and wealth.

I pray the people who nearly lynched me and accused me of armed robbery will read this article that I hope Newsrescue and other media publishes and possibly realize how dangerous their activity was and the implications. Hopefully a discussion can arise and we all as Africans can learn to improve our behavior and accept ourselves as Humans, Africans and brothers.

After all it was the wicked colonialist who used rulers to cut our Nations into the pieces they are today, set up tribes to capture other tribes as slaves or risk having their towns burned down, and gave certain regions comparative advantages or disadvantages over others, hence instilling deep tribal hate lines in our society, prior to that we were bunches of integrating communities with no such boundaries and more love than distrust.

See: The Jewish Holocaust was precedented and superseded by Leopold’s 30M Holocaust of Africa’s Congo

Ghana is very unique in that there is only one population in Ghana that claims the longest local origin, these are the ‘Asante’, the ‘Asante warriors’. The Ga’s of Ghana are actually Nigerian immigrants said to be from Benin in Nigeria that migrated to Ghana. And the Northerners in Ghana are Hausa’s who emigrated to Ghana from all over North Africa.

Ga tribe of Ghana

Ga tribe of Ghana, said to have immigrated from Nigeria

This is the story of most of Africa where people all migrated and intermixed to form the communities that exist today. Unfortunately even among Ghanaian’s there is ‘racism’, as the various groups do not get along with each other. Ghana being a very small nation makes the impacts of such more grave as compared to a vast Nation like Nigeria with over 500 tribes and the fault lines in Nigeria are usually more religion related than tribal. The last Presidential election in Ghana experienced an unprecedented in recent years high level of tribal-political violence, with harm to life and destruction of property especially up north as is described here:

Election violence excerpt:

Charred remains of houses, walls riddled with bullets, and burnt cars and are talismans of last week’s violence in the Northern Region’s capital of Tamale. Violence erupted following a shooting incident on 31 August that abruptly ended a political rally organized by the ruling New Patriotic Party.

A 12-hour curfew is currently in force… …Affected by the violence was Alhaji Mahama Jeboni, an opposition party chairman for the National Democratic Congress (NDC), who is based in Tamale.

His 30-year-old daughter, Sayakulu Mahama Jeboni told IRIN, “The attackers asked my father to choose between his life and his properties. There were about a hundred people all armed. They were arguing whether to burn the houses first or my father’s commercial vehicles. They set fire to all of his eight cars.” She said the flames razed their three homes to the ground. “Everything was burnt, all our possessions, possessions dating back to one hundred years. We have nothing left,” Jeboni told IRIN.

A Ghanaian advised in relation to the strong and oft. violent emotions of tribalism in Ghana:

Things a non-Ghanaian should never say or ask a Ghanaian:
(1) What do you think of JJ Rawlings- Depending on the ethnic group you’ll get a dirty slap or mind your business
(2) What ethnic group are you from- usually met with a silence unless you are very close with the person- Ghanaians have a paranoia of division.
(3)If you dare say- ‘Kwame Nkrumah was nothing’-lol- prepare for an early grave.
(5) ‘Hi Life music sucks’- again prepare for an early grave.

See: Gaddafi visits Ghana; ‘Rawlings Revolution’, not democracy saved Ghana

[ad#buy]

The views expressed in this article belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect the editorial policy of NewsRescue

The world is moving ahead past an era of race, clan, tribe or religious discrimination, as classicism remains the main divider that unfortunately is gaining rounds. We all must come together as did Nigerians, Ghanaian’s, African Americans, ‘Whites’ and the like in the United States to delineate Black power and prowess and elect Barrack Obama as the president of the United States and in effect, the world.

I pray for Ghana, I pray for Africa, I pray for the world. But sometimes prayers are just not enough. Please tell someone to love his neighbor and tell him to tell someone else. One by one we can spread a message of love, and hopefully our children will grow to see a better world than we have today.

Read/Add Comments

ea-banner

Share:

30 comments

1. Avatar
    PHB 2 September, 2009 at 14:00 Reply

Black people are cursed. Has to be true… what the eff? Anyway, Nigerians did something similar to Ghanaians when they migrated to our country so lets not be too quick to criticize them. I know 2 wrongs dont make a right but men, i'm not surprised at all. I got a whip of this silliness when i briefly joined Ghanaweb… Never again!

Emmanuel Omorodion 1 March, 2012 at 12:52 Reply

I beg the difference Dr. Cursed? show me a nation or a people who does not have have these challenges, and I will show you a cursed nation! Had to answer this after two years!

2. Avatar
    Emmanuel Omorodion 3 September, 2009 at 04:34 Reply

I am not amazed, yet disturbed at the simple fact that we as Africans still do not get it! If in all fareness, this story happened as it was told, I beg our leaders to address this issue now or we (Africa) will forever live in Darkness.

I am not going to blame those who out of jealousy, and hatred for a more prosperous individual get in the way of a bigger probem. But one begins to wonder why our nations and continent's leaders are at peace with a story like this.

Let us however come together and discuss what can be done and should be done. Will our leaders yeild to redefine the need to set a path to correct this big elephant in the room?

3. Avatar
    Akosa NVS 4 September, 2009 at 00:27 Reply

I remember my first rented accommodation in England. It was a house full of Ghanaians. They went out of their way to make life hell for me, calling me “alata” “obruni” and “coconut”. I have never seen such meanness and cruelty before from other people.

Even during my undergrad studies days in Nigeria and later on living in Switzerland, I knew so many Ghanaians and adored their sense of gentility, kindness towards others, passiveness, even sometimes to a fault. I did not know that some Ghanaians also really hate Nigerians that much.

After I complained to my landlord, also a Ghanaian, it got worse. They even got some cheap Jamaicans and Caribbean neighbors on the street to harass me, taunting me as “ras bomba klar…. African coconut”.

It was so shameful and embarrassing for the landlord, who was my uncle’s course mate in Engineering at Imperial College. He eventually gave them (all seven) quit notice. But they rather went to Legal Aid to fight the eviction, even though some were on deportation orders.

One day, by the time they returned from their “72 hrs” over time jobs, the landlord has plugged all the electricity supplies and heating to their suites. They found their ken key and abankwai stews all rotten and going sour.

They all ran away like the devil, within 24 hrs. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

4. Avatar
    cool trooth 4 September, 2009 at 09:53 Reply

PHB is right i was gonna say the same thing, i mean nigeria drove them away from our country like refugees, yu just dnt expect people to forget that.And what do yu expect the leaders to do , they dont care about it , and thats africas problem everyone is thinkin about only themsleve and thats why its still the way it is and im not expecting any change soon. wot i can advise is you guys should get over(bear) it or simply leave ghana and come back to yur country i dnt even kno why ppl even go there wen they have their own country, for all i kno any ghanian that thinks like that can go eat shit. EVERYONE SHOULD STAY IN THEIR COUNTRY IF THATS HOW IT IS.

Dr 4 September, 2009 at 10:06 Reply

Cool truth, consider that Ghana first drove Nigerians in the 60's and 70's. before Nigeria did so in the 80's

So if they did so again, it will be a brand new harrasment and not a retaliation.

Also please note- Hate crimes is not comparable to Government deportation. No time in history has Nigeria and Nigerian masses gone around insulting Ghanians, Niger people, Chadians or any other Nationals living in Nigeria and lynching them at the sightest opportunity.

This is unfair, evil, barbaric and hateful. If you see a criminal, deal with him because he is a criminal, and hand him over to the appropriate authorities. 1. do not take justice into your own hands and 2. Do not deal with a non criminal as a criminal and turn every foreigner into a criminal simply because they are not like you. That is 'hate crimes' and a very wicked thing to do.

Nigeria doesn't do it to foreigners. Such behavior can casuse war between Nations if the Government does not stand in to check it.

KOFI 11 January, 2011 at 18:34 Reply

Why is it that, based on one person's encounter, you all allow urselfs to be dragged to the GUTTER? Ghanaians have really done well for Nigerians. If you consider the number of crimes Nigerians commit in Ghana today and still, they are allowed to live freely here, one can say, ONLY IN GHANA. We have nothing against Nigerians. This Man's encounter is JUST ONE SIDE OF THE STORY.

5. Avatar
    didi 5 September, 2009 at 13:27 Reply

We are africans are worse for ourselves than whites people.Now I understand why the slaves trade lasted 400years.Because of our eternal inferiority complex,we happy to accept indians,pakistanis ,whites,chineses..etc in our countries even though these people are our worst enemies.But we make life a misery for our fellow africans.In south africa there are over 1million of asians but no black south african complain about that.But it the same blacks south africans who kill and persecute their fellow africans.Now ghana is "booming",these ghanians dont want to see nigerians.But tomorrow if ghana collapses(itcan happen) and nigeria start booming,these ghanians will go look for jobs in nigeria.Pretty sad!

6. Avatar
    Dagogo Wokoma 6 September, 2009 at 05:10 Reply

NO ONE WHO HATES KNOWS THE ALMIGHTY GOD.

"When one man hurts anothers feelings unknowingly, that's another thing. If anything is done purposely, that will react. If it is done unknowingly-you never meant it-that won't react. But what you do purposely, that will react."

by Sant Kirpal Singh Ji in his book HEART-TO-HEART TALK

Let us love the SOUL essence in us and not the body. We're not the body but the in dweller.

7. Avatar
    Eric Bassey 13 September, 2009 at 11:07 Reply

Funny, very funny, Nigerians attack and hate themselves and love foreigners passionately. Since I was born I've never heard or witness any form of assault on any foreigner, white or black in Nigeria. Only in Nigeria, especially in the North that you have you have non Nigerians live freely without immigration papers, some contest and even win elections. The case of attack of Nigerians in South Africa is the most painful, we supported them, even schooled their children F.O.C. during their apartheid struggle, but they FORGOT SO QUICKLY. For Ghanaians, forget them, they'll soon run back to Nigeria. Africa awake!

8. Avatar
    olamide 19 September, 2009 at 21:25 Reply

black man with black mentality, how can somebody just think a fellow human been should be treated so bad in the name of tribalism or language differences . This is inhuman, anyway these is common withing the Africans except for God fearing type. If we understand the fact that we all came from the same womb, the better.

9. Avatar
    AMUDA IBRAHIM 13 February, 2010 at 06:38 Reply

its unfair, the era of etnicity or racism has been burried a long while. do the right things at the right time in the right place with the right set of people.

10. Avatar
    Godwin 3 March, 2010 at 15:11 Reply

Nigerian in ghanna leave and come bach home.since they become terrow to nigeria,they forget Ghana as country they are still benefitting from nigeria and they some many Ghania in nigeria

if they dont want nigeria in thier country the best way them shud tell nigerian to leave thier country instead killing them unlawful

11. Avatar
    BB N 26 March, 2010 at 03:40 Reply

The problem is Nigeria and Nigerians playing big brother to these ungrateful countries. Guess the time has come for Nigeria to ignore these poor, destitute countries and abandon them with their cursed fates. Fuck Ghana!

12. Avatar
    FELLOW NIGERIAN 3 April, 2010 at 08:52 Reply

GHANIANS HATES NIGERIA THAT IS THE PHYSICAL TRUTH AND I WONDER WHY OUR GOVT WASTE OUR RESOURCES AND MONEY ON THOSE HALF BAKED AFRICANS INSTEAD OF ALLOWING THEM TO BE WIPED OFF BY POVERTY.GHANA AND SOUTH AFRICA AND OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRIES I HOPE THEY HAVE PAID THE DEBT THEY ARE OWING NIGERIA????

neal kelley 16 July, 2010 at 12:24 Reply

it is very bad to brand every person for the failings of there government or some bad people.. I can not believe that every single person in Nigeria is a bad person.. What ever happend to the vision "United States of Africa" A vision that talked about all African Unified. I guess it was replaced with "ON THOSE HALF BAKED AFRICANS INSTEAD OF ALLOWING THEM TO BE WIPED OFF BY POVERTY."… shame!!!!

13. Avatar
    dON jAZZY 1 June, 2010 at 07:24 Reply

it's true that as africans we must unite .. but tell me, which disciplined people will tolerate corruption and lawlessness. I have lived in Ghana for twenty years now and I havent experienced any of these things although I know they happen (and they do happen everywhere in the world) and I have realised that Nigerians are too aggressive and violent for their calmer brothers Ghana and almost 80% of cases of robbery, violence, fraud and general evil comes from these Nigerians (don'y get m wrong, there are other Nigerians who have made homes and families in Ghana without any problems and gone on to make friends cuz they were well behaved). So, Nigerians would be treated the same all over the world if they behave 'Nigerian'. Ghanaians are one of the most peaceful group of people you would find anywhere in the world. Check yourselves Nigerians ….

14. Avatar
    Nigeria Action 1 September, 2010 at 15:54 Reply

Uniformed Nigerian Police officers will treat you fellow Nigerians worse than these if you refuse to give them the 20 Naira bribe they demand and expect. Folks, we Nigerians are caught between a rock and a hard place. The so called leaders (make that rulers) are the worst enemies of the Nigerian people. Very ripe for people power revolution, Philipines style.

dg 28 September, 2010 at 06:52 Reply

Does that mean we Nigerians should be lynched at the slightest opportunity. Instead of stating or replying to what is going on, you are saying just because our stupid and thieving police men treat us badly then it means we should be treated badly everywhere you go and even worse lynched for being Nigeria. This is horrible and every Arican should be declaring and

15. Avatar
    Ruq 18 October, 2010 at 21:24 Reply

They are just plain Bastards angry at another Nations Progress an come to think of it. i never hated this Ghanians until i kept hearing this stories it just won't end

16. Avatar
    Toni 8 November, 2010 at 16:59 Reply

Jamos and Americans influence Ghana people to act this way. Plus the Ghanaians are also jealous people.

The Jamos and African Americans , who encourage Ghanaians and make them think of Nigerians as enemies, think all those slave castles in Ghana means that a majority of diasporans come from Ghana when in fact Ghana is the GOLD COAST not the SLAVE COAST.

The Jamos and African Americans never out of curiosity stop to ask a different question or stop to postulate differently. They never stop to suppose that those castles in Ghana are only there because the people who used to live there in ancient times were more welcoming of whites than Africans elsewhere. Diasporans (Jamos black American) believe everything that they read in the white man's books concerning slavery and never stop to ask themselves difficult questions. The don't think or ask themselves or imagine a different scenario. For example, suppose those slaves castles in Africa were only built wherever the natives were not hostile enough to cause problems ? Think about it, if you were a slaver would you not build your castle in safe places? Maybe welcoming places?

Anyway, Jamos and black Americans hate the fact Nigerians are not beholding on to them the way most Africans are to them. Nigerians will work hard , wherever they go and more often than not build him or herself a better life than before. Diasporans tend extraneously and ignorantly to view well to do blacks as sell-outs.

Nigerians are informed by their native cultures and abhor cowardice and subservience thus they will not give way or back down, or defer to another. All these native warrior mentality are seen by other blacks and whites as arrogance. Whereas what it is is normal human behaviour .The whites, Asian and Arabs act like Nigerians because they are undamaged by the history of oppression and degradation suffered by many black peoples'. Blacks by and large act subserviently and have done so for so long and to the extent that it has become nature and they do not know they are subservient and instead think they are humble people. Nigerians on the other hand, largely untouched by white degradation or because informed more than most Africans by native culture, still act like normal human beings. However because this is unusual in blacks, this natural human behaviour is seen as arrogant. Mind you nothing is wrong with arrogance.

The aggression Nigerians face in Ghana and South Africa are informed by many of the above. Degradation suffered by blacks in the diaspora and continental Africa have imbued in them deep inferiority complexes. Now those blacks unintentionally or without knowing go forward to socialise new blacks in the ways of how to act and be inferior. In this they have coerced Ghanaians and all are now out to socialise Nigerians in how to be inferior. Thus the author of the article we are now responding to, alludes to how Nigerians most act in Ghana in order to be safe. Invariably he recommends Nigerians most act subserviently.

17. Avatar
    Tunde 8 December, 2010 at 00:53 Reply

This na propa lies.Have been in Ghana for almost 15Years and have never seen racism taking place anywhere ….Please if you want to spoil the name of Ghana,you should rather look back in our own country(Nigeria)…Your stories are lia's ……So stop waisting your time bla bla blaying …..We want Peace not War ……Do something better for yourself instead of typing lie's on here …

18. Avatar
    ABIOLA 8 December, 2010 at 00:57 Reply

GHANA IS THE BEST COUNTRY …..THE GATEWAY To West AFRICA …..No Racism in Ghana …I PROTEST AGAINST This corrupt Nigeria Lie;s your putting on here ….

19. Avatar
    lyrikal richie 23 December, 2010 at 21:39 Reply

as i sit here to go through all these comment, i realized that all Ghanaians are defending their country and pouring insults on Nigerians and all Nigerians are Bombarding Ghanaians, what a pity. people it is as simple as this, we all know this type of nonsense Exist in all parts of Africa. you can chose to live in denial by saying this is not true but the part of the brain that convicts us when we are wrong will pay you a sweet visit when you are alone and there you will know that i am 100% right. to solution to this unethical behavior start from here i mean your response to articles like this also make good friends whenever you are in a foreign country and they will definitely help you when it comes to expressing your thoughts in a local dialect. word to the wise……

20. Avatar
    ADJEI TETTEH 9 January, 2011 at 11:14 Reply

I AM SURPRISED NO NIGERIAN HAS SEEN THE NONSENSE IN HIS STORY. A TRANSPORT BUS HAS HIT YOUR 4 WHEEL VEHICLE SO INSTEAD OF GETTING THE LICENSE NUMBER OF THE VEHICLE AND REPORTING TO THE POLICE OR THE TRANSPORT UNION, YOU BLOCK THE BUS SEATED OVER 50 PEOPLE FROM CONTINUEING THEIR JOURNEY. IN GHANA OUR LAW ENFORCEMENT WORKS.IS IT NOT SHEER ARROGANCE THAT ONE FOREIGNER WHO HAS SOJOURNED IN THE US THINK HE CAN SINGLE HANDED STOP A BUS FROM SENDING THE PASSENGERS TO THEIR VARIOUS PLACES. IT COULD BE SOME ARE URGENT.NIGERIAN COULD HAVE MURDERED THE FOREIGNER IF IT WAS THEM.SOME NIGERIANS UNFORTUNATELY ARE AGGRESSIVE AND ARROGANT.THE DECENT ONES ARE ENJOYING THEIR WEALTH AND THE LADIES IN PEACE.IF NIGERIAN IS HEAVEN GO AND STAY THERE.IN SOMEONE'S COUNTRY, LEARN TO SHOW RESPECT.NOTE THAT COS OF THE PEACEFUL NATURE OF GHANAIANS, EVEN NIGERIAN PASTORS SENT TO GHANA CHOSE TO REMAIN AND NOT GO BACK TO NIGERIA.GHANAIANS LOVE MOST THINGS NIGERA INCLUDING YOUR FILMS,STARS,FASHION, GREAT MEN OF GOD AND MUSIC.GHANA TODAY IS LIKE A COLONY OF NIGERIA SO PERVASIVE IS THE NIGERIAN PRESENCE AND INFLUENCE.NOBODY WILL WIN SO LETS BE ONE.THE MULTIPLICITY OF OIL DISCOVERIES BEEN MADE IS MIND BOGGLING SO AN HISTORICAL OPPOTUNITY TO SHOW THIS GHANA IS A JOKE. WHO SAID GHANA IS POOR.YOU ARE A JOKE.ONE OF YOUR TOP BUSINESS EXECUTIVE SAID ANY NIGERIAN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS WITHOUT A GHANAIAN BRANCH IS NOT SERIOUS.MOST OF THE LARGE COMPANIES ESPECIALLY THE BANKS HAVE SUCCESSFUL BRANCHES IN GHANA.ALL THE MAJOR RELIGIOUS BRANCHES HAVE SET UP POWERFUL GHNA BRANCHES.INSTEAD OF BEING BLINDED BY YOUR NATURAL TENDENCIES TO HATE AND ATTACK ANYTHING THAT IS DIFFERENT FROM YOU RATHER LOOK FOR OPPORTUNITIES LIKE SOME SMART NIGERIANS ARE NOW DOING BY SENDING THEIR CHILDREN TO SCHOOL IN GHANA AND THEREBY HAVE FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES THEY CAN NETWORK WITHY IN FUTURE.THE BEST BANK IN GHANA IN ZENITH, A NIGERIAN BANK,THE BEST EVENT MANAGENENT FIRM IN GHANA IS OWNED BY A NIGERIAN(ORGANISES GHANA MUSIC AWARDS).WHO DO YOU THINK PATRONISES THIS NIGERIAN OWNED BUSINESS, GHANAIANS OF COURSE). LET THE LOSERS RAVE AND BE XENOPHOBIC WHILE THE SMART NIGERIANS LOOK FOR BRIDGES TO EXPLOIT OPPORTUNITIES.WITH THE DISCOVERY OF OIL,GHANA IS POISED TO BE ONE OF THE RICHEST COUNTRIES IN AFRICA.TOGOLESE,BENINOIS AND IVORIENS ARE FLOCKING GHANA FOR EDUCATION AND BUSINESS.IF GHANA WAS THAT BAD WHY IS HE STILL IN GHANA IF HE COULD GET HEAVEN IN NIGERIAN.LETS EXPLOIT THE FUTURE TOGETHER AND MAKE AFRICA PROUD ONCE AGAIN.

21. Avatar
    ADJEI TETTEH 9 January, 2011 at 11:39 Reply

I AM SURPRISED NO NIGERIAN HAS SEEN THE NONSENSE IN HIS STORY. A TRANSPORT BUS HAS HIT YOUR 4 WHEEL VEHICLE SO INSTEAD OF GETTING THE LICENSE NUMBER OF THE VEHICLE AND REPORTING TO THE POLICE OR THE TRANSPORT UNION, YOU BLOCK THE BUS WTH YOUR JEEP AND STARTED TRADING INSULT WITH THEM.IS IT NOT STUPIDITY TO DO THAT WITH A VEHICLE CARRYING THAT MANY PASSENGERS.TRY THAT IN NIGERIA TODAY AND SEE IF YOUR OWN NIGERIAN BROTHERS WILL NOT LYNCH YOU.YOU INFURIATE THEM AND DONT SEE WHY THEY SHOULD ATTACK YOU AFTER INSULTING THE IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY AND ATTEMPTING TO STOP THEM FROM CONTINUING THEIR JOURNEY. IN GHANA OUR LAW ENFORCEMENT WORK.YOU KNOW THAT THE WISE THING TO DO IS TAKE THE VEHICLES NUMBER AND REPORT TO THE POLICE.IS IT NOT SHEER ARROGANCE THAT ONE FOREIGNER WHO HAS SOJOURNED IN THE US THINK HE CAN SINGLE HANDED STOP A BUS FROM SENDING THE PASSENGERS TO THEIR VARIOUS PLACES.NIGERIANS COULD HAVE MURDERED THE FOREIGNER IF A FOREIGNER DARE INSULT THEM IN NIGERIA.SOME NIGERIANS UNFORTUNATELY ARE AGGRESSIVE AND ARROGANT.THE DECENT ONES ARE ENJOYING THEIR WEALTH AND THE LADIES IN PEACE.IF NIGERIA IS HEAVEN THEN FROM THE US YOU WILL GO AND STAY THERE.IN SOMEONE'S COUNTRY, LEARN TO SHOW RESPECT.NOTE THAT COS OF THE PEACEFUL NATURE OF GHANAIANS, EVEN NIGERIAN PASTORS SENT TO GHANA CHOSE TO REMAIN AND NOT GO BACK TO NIGERIA.GHANAIANS LOVE MOST THINGS NIGERA INCLUDING YOUR FILMS,STARS,FASHION, GREAT MEN OF GOD AND MUSIC.GHANA TODAY IS LIKE A COLONY OF NIGERIA SO PERVASIVE IS THE NIGERIAN PRESENCE AND INFLUENCE.NOBODY WILL WIN SO LETS BE ONE.THE MULTIPLICITY OF OIL DISCOVERIES BEING MADE IS MIND BOGGLING. WHO SAID GHANA IS POOR.YOU ARE A JOKE.ONE OF YOUR TOP BUSINESS EXECUTIVE SAID ANY NIGERIAN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS WITHOUT A GHANAIAN BRANCH IS NOT SERIOUS.MOST OF THE LARGE COMPANIES ESPECIALLY THE BANKS HAVE SUCCESSFUL BRANCHES IN GHANA.ALL THE MAJOR NIGERIAN CHURCHES HAVE SET UP POWERFUL BRANCHES IN GHANA .INSTEAD OF BEING BLINDED BY YOUR NATURAL TENDENCIES TO HATE AND ATTACK ANYTHING THAT IS DIFFERENT FROM YOU RATHER LOOK FOR OPPORTUNITIES LIKE SOME SMART NIGERIANS ARE NOW DOING BY SENDING THEIR CHILDREN TO SCHOOL IN GHANA AND THEREBY ENSURING LIFELONG FRIENDSHIPS AND COLLEAGUES THEY CAN NETWORK WITH IN FUTURE.THE BEST BANK IN GHANA TODAY IS ZENITH BANK, A NIGERIAN BANK,THE BEST EVENT MANAGENENT FIRM IN GHANA IS OWNED BY A NIGERIAN(ORGANISES GHANA MUSIC AWARDS AND MISS MILAIKA GHANA).WHO DO YOU THINK PATRONISES THESE NIGERIAN OWNED BUSINESS, GHANAIANS OF COURSE). LET THE LOSERS RAVE AND BE XENOPHOBIC WHILE THE SMART NIGERIANS LOOK FOR BRIDGES TO EXPLOIT OPPORTUNITIES.WITH THE DISCOVERY OF OIL,GHANA IS POISED TO BE ONE OF THE RICHEST COUNTRIES IN AFRICA.TOGOLESE,BENINOIS AND IVORIENS ARE FLOCKING GHANA FOR EDUCATION AND BUSINESS.IF GHANA WAS THAT BAD WHY IS HE STILL IN GHANA IF HE COULD GET HEAVEN IN NIGERIAN.LETS EXPLOIT THE FUTURE TOGETHER AND MAKE AFRICA PROUD ONCE AGAIN.

AKIN LAGOS 10 July, 2011 at 03:48 Reply

I AM A NIGERIA LIVING IN ENGLAND, AND I HAVE MANY RESPECTIVE GHANIAN FRIENDS. ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER TRAVEL TO GHANA BEFORE, BUT ONE DAY, I WILL VISIT MANY INTERESTING TOURIST PLACES WITH MY GHANIAN FRIENDS.

THE GENTILMAN SCENARIO WITH A PUBLIC TRANSPORT, I ASSUMED WHEN THE VICTIM FOUND HIMSELF IN A COLITION WITH BUS DRIVER, PROBABLY HE WAS CONFUSED AND COULD NOT THINK STREIGHT TO REPORT THE ACCIDENT DIRECT TO THE POLICE AUTHORITY OR BUS COMPANY IF IT’S A WELL ESTABLISHED BUS COMPANY IN ORDER TO RESOLVE THE MATTER RATHER INVOLVES IN SELF CONFRONTATION WITH THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER, OR PROBABLY NOT HAS A FAITH IN THE AUTHORITY DUE TO WEST AFRICAN INJUSTICE , MY EXPERIENCE IN ENGLAND, IF ACCIDENT OCCURED BETWEEN TWO DRIVER, BOTH EXCHANGE THE INSURANCE DETAILS WITHOUT ARGUMENT AND WHOM EVER AT FAULT AGREED RESPONSIBLE ON THE SPORT, ALTHOUGH SOMETIME YOU COULD BE UNFORTUNATE INVOLVES WITH SOME CRACK HEAD WITHOUT INSURANCE THAT CAN LED TO REPORT TO THE POLICE TO RESOLVE IT, EVEN IF POLICE INVOLVE IF THE PERSON AT FAULT HASN’T GOT INSURANCE, YOU STILL HAVE TO RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CAR TO BE REPAIR WITH YOUR OWN INSURANCE PREMIUM.

EXPERIENCE WITH NIGERIA ACCIDENT, THE POPULAR PUBLIC BUS DRIVER WILL BEG THEIR VICTIM BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO MONEY TO REPAIR THE VICTIM CAR, CAR OWNER ARE ALWAYS BE A LOSER. AS OWNER OF A CAR, IF YOU CHASE A BUS DRIVER IN ORDER TO REPAIR YOUR CAR, YOU WILL JUST BE WASTING YOUR TIME, EVEN IF YOU REPORT TO THE PLOICE, NO HELP UNLESS IF YOU WANT THE BUS DRIVER TO BE LUCK IN CELL BY BRIBED THE POLICE, AND NOTHING POSITIVE WILL COME UP TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE CAR AFTER RELEASING THE DRIVER.

MY EXPERINCE WITH PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN NIGERIA IS TO PREVENT ACCIDENT WITH UNNECCESSARY LOST AND WASTE OF TIME, YOU NEED TO BE ANTCIPATE FOR BUS DRIVER TO DRIVE AWAY FROM YOUR CAR, THAT DOESN’T PORTARIATE YOU AS INEXPERINCE DRIVER OR A FOOL, WITHOUT ANTCIPATION, THIRTY MINUTE JOURNEY CAN LED TO TEN HOUR WITH MORE FRUSTRATION.

PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE WITH OTHER NATIONALITY AND IT’S UNWISE TO JUMP INTO CONCLUSION OR TO CONDEMED OTHERS EXPERINCED OR TO CALL A PERSON THAT SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE A JOKE, SIMPLY BECAUSE OF DIFFERENT NATIONALITY, ESPECIALLY WHEN NOT ON THE SCEEN TO WITHNESSED THE PROCEEDING OF THE ACCIDENT, NIGERIAN AND GHANA IS LIKE USA AND UK, THAT SHARING SIMILAR EXPERINCE AND CULTURE, WE DON’T NEED TO DEFENDING OR CONDEMING OTHER PEOPLE GRIVE, ESPECIALLY A TRUMATISED EXPERINCE OF LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION.

IF INCIDENT OR ACCIDENT OCCURE, WHICH CAN BE SETTLED AMICABLE, IT’S COMMON IN WEST AFRICA FOR PEOPLE ON THE STREET TO RAPIDLY RESPONDING WITH MORE CONFUSION, SOME PEOPLE PERSPECTIVE WITH AGGRESSIVELY APPROCH TO ESCALATE THE SITUATION BY PROJECTING THEIR AGGRESSION, FRUSTRATION, AND SELF ANGER TO CONFUSE THE MATTER MORE, A REASONABLE ONE WILL APPLY COMMON SENCE TO RESOLVE THE MATTER AND EVERYONE WILL DEPART IN PEACE WITHOUT BEEN A BAIS OF DIFFERENT IN NATIONALITY.

I THANK GOD FOR THE CONSISTENCY IN GHANA, ESPECIALLY FOR THE TRANSPARENCY AND POSITVE LEADERSHIP THAT ARE ACCOUNTABLILTY TO GOVERN THE COUNTRY WITH THE PLAN TO MOVE THE NATION FORWARD. ALTHOUGH WETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT WE NEED TO TOLERATE OURSELF, WE ARE BROTHERS AND SISTER AND WE WILL REMAIN IN PEACE AND LIVE TOGETHER IN PEACE, WE SHOULD CONTINUING TO PRAY FOR BOTH COUNTRY GROWTH ESPECIALLY FOR THE NIGERIA POLITICIAN LOOTER WHO ARE STILL LIVING IN DARKNESS. IF NIGERIA POLITICIAN LOOTER IS ERADICATE, NIGERIA CITIZEN WILL NOT BE A BURDEN TO OTHER COUNTRY AROUND THE AFRICAN AND AROUND THE WORLD

PLEASE LET US BE POSITIVE WITH CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISCM WHEN OTHER ARE SHARING A TRUMITISED EXPERINECE AND NOT TO BE VULGARIZE INDUCTIVE THINKING WITH SENSITIVE MATTER

22. Avatar
    JohnAito 11 May, 2011 at 08:05 Reply

GHANIANS RE LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, EVERY 12 THERE RE JUDAS. I VE NOT HEARD OF THIS RACISM ISSUE IN GHANA, I VE CLOSE RELATIVES OVERTHERE. EVEN IN NIGERIA HERE I VEV SOME OF THEM THAT RE FAMILY FRIENDS THEY RELATE WELL., MAY BE THAT GUY WITH JEEP WAS TRYING TO INTIMIDATE THE PASSENGERS WITH HIS FAME. IF U VE LIVED IN THE US FOR 20 YRS U SHUD U NO THAT U DNT TAKE LAWS INTO UR HAND, U TAKE THE PLATE NO AND CALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT

23. Avatar
    Theophilus Ahene-Akw 22 November, 2011 at 21:54 Reply

Infact i saw a footage on youtube where a ghanaian and a nigerian were having a scuffle in either kumasi or accra i dont know, but there was a cop who tried not to arrest anybody but the way the ghanaian acted disgusted me. As a ghanaian who is half asante, ha ga, i was totally disgraced by the situation so i looked up more info on this racism and stumbled on your article, i hope you are fine and still in ghana doing what you can to help mother ghana and nigeria, remember you can always go directly to the nigerian consulate in ghana and ghana's foreign minister to solve problems like these. This is what Ofosu(a disable did) and now upon his pleading and demonstration ghana's gov'n has embarked on a mission to make all public buildings and buildings built from now on accessible to the disable. The disability bill will be very advantageous to mother Ghana. By pleading you case, the gov'n can introduce a new bill that will protect the rights of every foreign citizen no matter what country you are from. Thank very much for this eye-opener. Be safe