VIDEO: Drone Nearly Collides With 100 Passenger Full Airbus Airplane
June 4, 2013
- Video filmed from Luna drone shows it flying towards passenger plane
- Out-of-control drone was caught in turbulence caused by the Ariana plane
- Video caused outrage in Germany as debate rages about drones
- Government announced new drones will not have anti-collision technology
- Comes in wake of ‘drone-debacle’ after country scrapped Euro Hawk programme that had already cost Germany 500million Euros
Classified footage of an out-of-control drone narrowly missing an Afghan passenger plane carrying 100 people has caused outrage in Germany.
The video, filmed from onboard the unmanned German Luna drone as it flew over Afghanistan, shows it missing the plane by about two metres.
It has caused fury in Germany as debate rages about the Government’s new order of drones.
Scroll down for video
Last week German Defence Minister Thomas de Maiziere said Luna’s successor would not be fitted with anti-collision technology because it is too expensive.
Critics have seized on the dramatic footage taken nine years ago as proof of the dangers of unmanned drones and called for de Maiziere to reconsider.
They say larger drones should be fitted with the technology as it could cause more damage if it crashed.
Since then the footage has gained widespread attention, despite being nine years old.
The 88lb German ‘Luna’ drone was caught in air turbulence created by the Ariana passenger plane, before losing control and crash landing near the Afghan capital, Kabul.
The video shows the plane in the distance before it swiftly moves into shot.
The drone passes under the left wing of the engine. Source: DailyMail