by Sunday Ogundipe,
The alleged mastermind of the 2013 terror attacks on a secondary school in Yobe State has been captured, the State Security Service said on Monday.
In a statement signed by its spokesman, Tony Opuiyo, the SSS said Mudaisiru Jibrin, a spiritual leader of the Boko Haram sect, was arrested in Kano on August 17, three years after he allegedly coordinated the killing of 42 people in Government Secondary School, Mamudo, Yobe State.
The attack left at least 42 people dead, comprising mostly students and a few teachers.
The operation was in furtherance of ongoing tactical and counter-terrorism operations to degrade the capabilities of criminal gangs and syndicates in their hideouts across the federation, the SSS said.
The SSS said Mr. Jibrin was arrested in the Yankaba neighbourhood in Kano, where he was operating as a spiritual leader for a new Boko Haram sleeper cell.
“Similarly, on 8th July, 2016, at Kinkinau area in Unguwar Mu’azu of Kaduna metropolis, the Service arrested one Mukhtar TIJANI, a notorious Boko Haram fighter and three (3) of his accomplices namely, Isiaku SALIHU, Abdullahi ISAH and Hindu ISAH,” the secret police agency said.
“The four suspects were apprehended while perfecting arrangements for major coordinated attacks on selected targets and locations in Kaduna State.”
“In a related development, on 12th August 2016, at Auchi in Edo State, three members of the ANSARU terrorist group hibernating in Kogi State were apprehended by the Service. Usman ABDULLAHI, Abdulmumuni SADIO and Ahmad SALIHU were arrested while making arrangements to launch attacks on some selected targets in Edo and Kogi States, before escaping to join ISIS in Libya.”
The SSS also announced the apprehension of one Aikhoje Moses, a suspected criminal who allegedly threatened violence against some foreign diplomats and missions in the country.
According to the statement, no fewer than 18 people were reportedly arrested by the SSS between August 12 and 19 in several states across the country.
The full statement released by the SSS is published below:
In furtherance to ongoing tactical and counter-terrorism operations to degrade the capabilities of criminal gangs/syndicates in their hide-outs across the Federation, the Department of State Services (DSS) wishes to apprise the general public of recent successes recorded.
2. Following threat messages against some members of the Diplomatic Corps in Abuja and Lagos, this Service responded and subsequently apprehended one Aikhoje MOSES, on 19th August 2016, at Azagha by-pass off the Benin–Asaba Expressway in Edo State. Before his arrest, MOSES had threatened the diplomatic community in Nigeria, particularly the Consular-Generals of Switzerland and Denmark and their Embassies in Nigeria, warning them to leave the Country.
3. The Service also arrested one Mudaisiru JIBRIN aka NAMAKELE/ALARAMA on 17th July, 2016, at Sauna quarters, Yankaba area in Kano. JIBRIN was the spiritual leader to a newly uncovered Boko Haram cell in Kano. Preliminary investigation so far conducted revealed that he was also the mastermind of the shooting of some students at Government Secondary School (GSS), Mamudo village near Potiskum, Yobe State, in 2013.
4. Similarly, on 8th July, 2016, at Kinkinau area in Unguwar Mu’azu of Kaduna metropolis, the Service arrested one Mukhtar TIJANI, a notorious Boko Haram fighter and three (3) of his accomplices namely, Isiaku SALIHU, Abdullahi ISAH and Hindu ISAH. The four suspects were apprehended while perfecting arrangements for major coordinated attacks on selected targets and locations in Kaduna State.
5. In a related development, on 12th August 2016, at Auchi in Edo State, three members of the ANSARU terrorist group hibernating in Kogi State were apprehended by the Service. Usman ABDULLAHI, Abdulmumuni SADIO and Ahmad SALIHU were arrested while making arrangements to launch attacks on some selected targets in Edo and Kogi States, before escaping to join ISIS in Libya.
6. Following recurring attacks by cattle rustlers in Zamfara State, this Service conducted series of operations in collaboration with the military to degrade the criminal network of one “BUHARI General’” in the State. Sequel to these operations, this Service arrested one Abdullahi HARUNA aka DOUGLAS, a bread seller on 13th August, 2016, at Hayin Buba area in Gusau LGA of Zamfara State. HARUNA was intercepted while using the cover of his petty business, to monitor security bases and movement of security agents in the State, in a bid to facilitate counter-attacks against security personnel deployed to the State.
7. Also, on 12th August, 2016, at Aliero town in Aliero LGA of Kebbi State, one Hussaini Alhaji SULE aka YELLOW, was apprehended by the Service. His arrest was facilitated by an earlier operation of 29th July, 2016, when one Hafizu SANI, a spy and criminal associate of “Buhari GENERAL”, was apprehended by this Service. Prior to his arrest, SANI was also spying on the movements of security agents in Zamfara State. SANI in concert with other elements, have been terrorizing local communities in Kaduna, Katsina and Zamfara States respectively, engaging in cattle rustling and kidnap activities.
8. Meanwhile, following the spate of gruesome killing and kidnap incidents in Benue State, on 8th August, 2016, the Service arrested one Terfa JIRGBA and two (2) of his accomplices, namely Terzungee KWAGHAONDO and Mathias AENDE, at Badagry Street off Esther Aka road in Makurdi, Benue State. JIRGBA is an active ally and gang member of Terwase AGWAZA aka GHANA, a notorious kidnapper who runs a kidnapping and criminal network in Benue State.
9. In a follow-up operation, one TERUNGWA ABUR aka was trailed to Port-Harcourt City in Rivers State. He was eventually picked up on 16th August, 2016. ABUR is the second in Command to AGWAZA and a key member of the kidnapping gang of Terwase AGWAZA aka GHANA which operates from Benue State. He acts as a courier for the underworld gang and was the negotiator of the Four Million Naira (N4,000,000.00) ransom paid to the gang for the release of two Indian national staff of Dangote Cement Company, Yander-Gboko, who were kidnapped on 29th July, 2016, in Markudi city. He also participated in the killing of one ORTIN in Gboko township on 1st August, 2016.
10. The arrests of major criminal masterminds in Benue and other adjourning States will continue until these criminal gangs are routed and made to face justice.
11. To address the activities of various criminal syndicates that have in recent months terrorized residents of Calabar and parts of Akwa Ibom State, on 15th August, 2016, along Ukpong Street in Oron LGA, one Benjamin EMOMOTEMI and his accomplices namely Gabriel AMBROSE, Godbless Taliboth MATTIAS, Blessing SUNDAY, Simeon Blessing Sunday, Edet Effiong ASANAGASI and Rose WILLIAMS, were all apprehended by the Service tactical team. The suspects were part of a kidnap ring which masterminded the abduction of one Mr. Rufus AKV on 31st May, 2016 and Senator Patrick ANI on 6th July, 2016 in Cross River State.
Dept. of State Services,
22nd August, 2016