- Gives Police Marching Orders
By Soni Daniel, Northern Region Editor,
Abuja – Apparently shocked by the escalation of attacks in Southern Kaduna despite increased security measures put in place by the government, Acting President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo has summoned the Inspector General of Police to the Aso Rock Villa for explanations.
A top source in the Presidency, who is privy to the summons of the police leadership, told Sunday Vanguard that the Presidency was unhappy with the fresh killing of 21 persons in the troubled Southern Kaduna last week.
The source said that Osinbajo wanted explanations from the police chief and what needed to be done to halt the spate of atrocities by unknown elements in the area.
The meeting between the Acting President and the IGP came amidst reports that the Presidency has ordered additional security measures, including a total deployment of 15, 285 policemen by the Nigeria Police Force in Southern Kaduna with immediate effect.
One of the top sources conversant with the meeting said, “The immediate outcome of the IGP’s meeting with the Acting President was the intensification and adoption of a set of additional security measures that would help contain the situation.
“Besides, deploying over 15000 cops to the area, It was also learnt that the police high command has now concluded arrangements for the establishment of a new Police Squadron in Kafanchan, Kaduna, as part of broad measures adopted to curb the violence.
“A total of 18 Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs) and a unit of Belarus-trained police Special Forces have been deployed to Southern Kaduna.
“The police, in addition, have now increased helicopter surveillance in the entire area to prevent a recurrence of violence in the communities.
“Besides, the police have so far arrested 38 suspects linked to the violence while 29 firearms have been recently recovered,” the official hinted.
The IGP, the source said, has further assured that there will now be stronger police presence and security in Southern Kaduna.
It will be recalled that no fewer than 21 persons were killed in the latest attacks that has devastated several communities and displaced many people in Southern Kaduna.
The Army recently announced the formation of a new unit to be stationed in Southern Kaduna, all in a bid to contain the attacks.
In a similar development it was learnt that the Chief of Army Staff Lt. General Tukur Buratai, has briefed the Acting President on the situation in the Northeast where the Nigerian military is said to now hold an effective control of the area and actively mopping up remnants of the Boko Haram insurgents on a “regular and constant basis.”
Sources close to the Office of the National Security Adviser also disclosed that plans were underway for a major briefing on the overall security situation of the country for the benefit of the Nigerian public.