Monday, May 18, 2026
26.7 C
New York

US Commits $5Million To Task Force To Fight Boko Haram – NewsRescue.com

The United States says it has announced a $5 million contribution to the Multinational Joint Task Force to boost the military operation against the Boko Haram insurgency.

The U.S. Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, announced this at news briefing via telephone from the African Union Summit on Monday.

“We have been working with Nigeria as well as the African countries to address their concerns about Boko Haram because we don’t see this as just a Nigerian problem.

“We are having discussions with President Buhari on how we might bolster our support. We have already been working with them and providing information.

“We are providing some training and support and we’ll love to work with the new administration to see how we might increase the level of support to Nigeria.

“At the same time, we’ve just announced at the venue of the AU, five billion dollars contribution to the Multinational Task Force.

“We are also providing some equipment and support and we have a number of meetings with the countries who are members of the Multinational Joint Task Force to look at other areas we might support.”

Mr. Thomas-Greenfield said that Africa had faced “some really horrendous terrorist attacks” over the past two years.

He listed the West Gate and Garissa University attacks in Kenya, and the Boko Haram attacks particularly, the kidnapping of the Chibok girls among others.

“While I would not say Africa is under siege, Africa has some major security challenges.

“That requires a very strong and very concerted strategic effort by African countries and partners to address the security concerns of Africa.”

She said the U.S. is providing a strong support to AU on security as the U.S. has a strong partnership with the continent on security.

“We are working closely with the Lake Chad Basin countries: Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon to address the issues of Boko Haram,” she said.

She said that U.S. had so far trained about 250,000 African peacekeepers, saying U.S. highest priority in Africa remained security.

The U.S. envoy expressed support to the warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court against Sudan President Omar Al-Bashir.

She said that the U.S. frowned at plans by some African leaders to subvert the constitution to extend their terms in office, saying U.S. supports two-term limit in office.

(NAN)

Related Posts:

Comments

comments

Black US State Senator Killed By White Supremacist Terrorist, 8 Others Dead

Falana Blasts Buhari Over G7 ‘Begging Bowl’; Says Why Not Believe In The Power of Nigerians

Are the People of Rakhine Condemned to Be Oppressed in the Countries to Which They Flee?

AU: South Africa Bans Sudan’s Omar al-Bashir From Leaving Over ICC Charges

Most Popular

Trump: Removing Iran’s Uranium is “Mostly PR”

U.S. President Donald Trump has publicly downgraded the urgency of recovering the 400 kg of 60%-enriched uranium still buried under the rubble of Iran's bombed...

US and Israel Prepping New Attack on Iran as Soon as Next Week – NYT

The United States and Israel are actively preparing for a renewed military assault on Iran, with strikes possible as early as next week, according to a New...

Trump, Tinubu Claim Killing of Top ISIS Terrorist Nigeria Already Said It Killed in 2024

U.S. President Donald Trump announced overnight that American special forces, working alongside the Armed Forces of Nigeria, had eliminated Abu-Bilal al-Minuki...

Emperor Trump Considers Annexing Oil-Rich Venezuela as Part of US

U.S. President Donald Trump is "seriously considering" turning Venezuela – with its estimated $40 trillion in oil reserves – into a permanent part of the...

Bibi Blames Bot Propaganda, Promises to End Need for US Cash

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he intends to wean Israel off American financial aid within a decade – and that the dramatic collapse in U.S....

Recent

Trump: Removing Iran’s Uranium is “Mostly PR”

U.S. President Donald Trump has publicly downgraded the urgency of recovering the 400 kg of 60%-enriched uranium still buried under the rubble of Iran's bombed...

US and Israel Prepping New Attack on Iran as Soon as Next Week – NYT

The United States and Israel are actively preparing for a renewed military assault on Iran, with strikes possible as early as next week, according to a New...

Trump, Tinubu Claim Killing of Top ISIS Terrorist Nigeria Already Said It Killed in 2024

U.S. President Donald Trump announced overnight that American special forces, working alongside the Armed Forces of Nigeria, had eliminated Abu-Bilal al-Minuki...

Emperor Trump Considers Annexing Oil-Rich Venezuela as Part of US

U.S. President Donald Trump is "seriously considering" turning Venezuela – with its estimated $40 trillion in oil reserves – into a permanent part of the...

Bibi Blames Bot Propaganda, Promises to End Need for US Cash

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he intends to wean Israel off American financial aid within a decade – and that the dramatic collapse in U.S....

Iran War Emptied US Missile Stocks, Senator Warns – Years to Replenish

The United States burned through so much of its missile inventory fighting Iran that replenishing the depleted stockpiles will take years – and could...

IDF Soldier Puts Cigarette in Virgin Mary Statue’s Mouth

A photograph showing an Israeli soldier placing a cigarette in the mouth of a Virgin Mary statue in southern Lebanon has triggered widespread outrage online....

Iran Warns UAE: Stop Aiding US-Israeli Aggressors

Iran's Foreign Ministry has issued a sharp public warning to the United Arab Emirates, calling on Abu Dhabi to halt cooperation with parties hostile to Tehran...
spot_img

Related Articles

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Popular Categories

spot_img
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x