Nigeria’s president Muhammadu Buhari is increasingly coming under fire for his affiliations with organisations linked to global terrorism.
At the center of the accusations is his recent open endorsement and relationships with the Abdullah Bin Abdul Mohsin Al-Turki-led Muslim World League, a Saudi government established Non governmental organisation that is widely linked with funding extremism across the world.
Pictures Of Buhari In March 2016 At Muslim World League Function In Nigeria
Buhari Endorsed By Muslim World League Nigeria Ambassador, Radical Izala Sheikh Bala Lau, April 2015
In March this year, President Buhari opened a meeting in Yar’Adua center Abuja organized by the Muslim World League with its Nigeria representatives, JIBWIS/Izala sect headed by controversial radical cleric Abdullah Bala Lau. This event is detailed here.
- Related: NewsRescue-WIKILEAKS: Boko Haram Evolved From Izala Sect – US Cables; Buhari Banned Izala From Preaching In Public
According to its website, “The International Islamic Relief Organization, Saudi Arabia (IIROSA) is a charity organization emanating from the Muslim World League (MWL) and functions internationally. It was founded following a decision adopted at the 20th session of the Constituent Council of the Muslim World League in the year 1398H (1978), and a royal approval in 1399H (1979).” Muslim World League is the leading sponsor of Wahhabism on earth.
The Muslim World League‘s charity arm, International Islamic Relief Organization is listed as charities sponsoring terror on US government portal:
Treasury Designates Director, Branches of Charity Bankrolling Al Qaida Network
The U.S. Department of the Treasury today designated the Philippine and Indonesian branch offices of the Saudi-based International Islamic Relief Organization (IIRO) for facilitating fundraising for al Qaida and affiliated terrorist groups. Treasury additionally designated Abd Al Hamid Sulaiman Al-Mujil, the Executive Director of the Eastern Province Branch of IIRO in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
“Abd Al Hamid Sulaiman Al-Mujil, a high-ranking IIRO official in Saudi Arabia, has used his position to bankroll the al Qaida network in Southeast Asia. Al-Mujil has a long record of supporting Islamic militant groups, and he has maintained a cell of regular financial donors in the Middle East who support extremist causes,” said Stuart Levey, Treasury’s Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence (TFI). “Today we are holding him to account.”
The IIRO was established in 1978 and, according to its website, the organization has branch offices in over 20 countries in Africa, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
“It is particularly shameful when groups that hold themselves out as charitable or religious organizations defraud their donors and divert funds in support of violent terrorist groups,” said Levey. “We have long been concerned about these IIRO offices; we are now taking public action to sever this link in the al Qaida network’s funding chain.”
Today’s action was taken pursuant to Executive Order 13224, which is aimed at detecting and disrupting financial flows to terrorists. Under this authority, U.S. persons are prohibited from engaging in transactions with the designees, and any assets they may have under U.S. jurisdiction are frozen.
- International Islamic Relief Agency
- International Relief Organization
- Islamic Relief Organization
- Islamic World Relief
- International Islamic Aid Organization
- Islamic Salvation Committee
- The Human Relief Committee of the Muslim World League
- World Islamic Relief Organization
Screenshot of US Treasury department listing of Muslim World League charity sponsorship of terror
- Muslim World League sponsors jihadists: https://www.brookings.edu/testimonies/the-u-s-saudi-arabia-counterterrorism-relationship/#six
- Muslim World League concerned about US “Justice law against sponsors of terrorism” bill: http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2016/09/13/Muslim-World-League-expresses-concerns-over-US-congress-bill.html
- Muslim World League funds extremism – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09STATE131801_a.html
- Saudi Arabia continues to serve as the capital of international terrorist financing. Through groups like the Muslim World League (MWL), the International Islamic Relief Organization (IIRO), the al Haramain Islamic Foundation…: http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/subversion-from-within-saudi-funding-of-islamic-extremist-groups-underminin
- Two interrelated global charities directly financed by the Saudi government–the International Islamic Relief Organization and the Muslim World League –have been used by bin Laden to finance his operations. The organizations were left off the list of groups sanctioned by the United States last week, U.S. officials hinted to NEWSWEEK, in order to avoid embarrassing the Saudi government: http://www.newsweek.com/intelligence-gearing-shadow-struggle-154135