By Wale Odunsi,
Acting President Yemi Osinbajo on Sunday assured parents and guardians of the kidnapped boys of Igbonla Government College, Epe, the safe return of the children.
Osinbajo told newsmen in Lagos that the Federal Government was collaborating with the state’s authorities on the matter.
The acting president said “there should be no doubt at all about the commitment of government”.
“I don’t know how many times the governor has spoken to me about this and the Inspector-General of Police, the Commissioner of Police, the DSS and even the Armed Forces.
- Related: NewsRescue-Reminiscent of Chibok Abduction, Boko Haram Video Forces Osinbajo’s Late Response To Women’s Abduction
“I am sure these children will return as quickly as possible; so, we look forward to their return”.
Recall that the Lagos State Police command dismissed rumours that the six male students were dead.
Commissioner of Police in Lagos, said: “We are on course to rescue the boys. The children are fine and we will continue to intensify efforts to ensure that they are returned home and reunited with their parents”.
“This is a sensitive matter and our main objective is to successfully reunite them with their parents and that will soon be achieved”.
Peter Jonah, Isiaq Rahmon, Adebayo George, Judah Agbausi, Pelumi Philips and Farouq Yusuf were abducted on May 25, 2017.
The kidnappers initially demanded N50 million ransom but stopped communication after three of their gang members were arrested by the police last month, despite collecting N10 million from the parents of the students.
They resumed talks two weeks ago and after collecting another N20 million from the parents, they failed to release the boys as promised.
The kidnappers made a demand for another N1.5 million, a development that caused a stalemate in the negotiations.