By Emmanuel Uzodinma
A coalition of South-East groups rose from a meeting in Enugu on Wednesday, accusing President Goodluck Jonathan of taking Ndigbo for a ride.
The groups, which met to review the political situation in the country as it affects the South-East and the 2015 elections, said they were yet to see genuine reasons why the zone should support President Jonathan for a second term.
This development is coming despite claims by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, that the South-East votes were exclusively for Jonathan, who the party said deserved re-election.
Those present at the meeting included representatives of the Igbo Leaders Council, Umuada Ala Igbo, Igbo Women Assembly, Igbo Students’ Association, Igbo Youth Movement, South-East Self Determination Coalition and Eastern Christian Council.
They rhetorically asked those clamouring for Jonathan’s re-election to explain why rail ways, which is one of the President’s major achievement was yet to work in the South-East.
They equally wondered why the President failed in his promise of according the Akanu Ibiam Airport the right international status.
Comrade Samuel Edeson, the coordinator of the South-East Self Determination Coalition, who spoke on behalf of the groups said, “Mr. President has failed to fulfill all the promises he made to the people of the South-East despite the block vote given to him by the people of the zone.
“He promised that by the first quarter of last year cargo will be landing here in the South-East from different parts of the world, but nothing has come out of it. Our people still pass through the rigours of traveling to Lagos to clear their goods.
“If we also look at the rail way, which is one sector this administration has given so much attention, no significant thing is happening in the South-East, unlike other zones where it is now an alternative means of transport.
“So, the South-East youths and Ndigbo in general are very angry with this administration; if nothing is done and quickly too, President Jonathan should not expect our votes in 2015. Let him not allow sycophants deceive him by making him feel that all is well”.
“We don’t see the reason to continue voting for someone who has no clear plan for the development of this zone”, he concluded.
Also in a remark, the President and Founder, Igbo Youth Movement, Evang. Eliot Ukoh, who arrived at the end of the meeting agreed with the resolutions taken by the groups.
He, however, urged the agitating groups to give President Jonathan a chance, noting that it would be wrong for the zone to withdraw its support from him without valid discussions.
Ukoh said “I got wind of the meeting and decided to be here, that’s why I am late; in as much as I am pleading with them to cool down, Mr. President should do the needful. It appears he is being held hostage by a cabal.
“He should meet with the South-East leaders, the likes of Professor Ben Nwabueze and show them a clear blueprint he has for Ndigbo in the next four years. He should reach out to our leaders”.