- Jolly Tumuhiirwe was caught by security cameras in the girl’s home
- After spotting bruises on the child, the girl’s father looked at the tapes
- He was then said to have beaten 22-year-old Tumuhiirwe ‘to a pulp’
- Tumuhiirwe reported the assault to police and Erick Kamanzi was arrested
- Police dropped the charges against him after he showed them the tapes
- Tumuhiirwe is in custody and has been charged under the Anti-torture Act
A nanny in Uganda is in police custody after been caught on video kicking and stomping a child after the 2-year-old was sick while eating dinner.
The nanny, named locally as Jolly Tumuhiirwe, 22, was taken into custody after Aneela Kamanzi’s father, Erick Kamanzi, discovered bruises on his daughter.
Instead of confronting the nanny, Kamanzi was said to have viewed security cameras installed in the family home where he watched in horror as Tumuhiirwe dragged his daughter on to the floor before attacking her.
Scroll down for video
Tumuhiirwe, 22, is seen standing on Aneela’s back, applying all of her weight
Initially reports suggested Aneela had died as a result of the assault on November 15, but investigators said she was alive and recovering from her injuries.
Kamanzi is then said to have beaten Tumuhiirwe ‘to a pulp’. She later reported the assault to police and Kamanzi was arrested after admitting he had attacked her.
But after showing police the security tapes of the assault on Aneela, the charges against Kamanzi, who works for an NGO in Kampala, were dropped.
Tumuhiirwe, who had been working for the family for three month, has been charged under the Anti-torture Act and has appeared in the Nakawa Court.
Taking a run up, Tumuhiirwe kicks the girl directly in the ribs, sending her sliding across the floor
The nanny is said to now be confined to a wheelchair and is being fed through tubes, according to Sowentan Live.
Police are considering upgrading the charge against Tumuhiirwe to attempted murder, the Afro Cosmopolitan reports.
Tumuhiirwe is due to re-appear in court on December 8.