Nov. 8, 2013
NewsRescue– The United States and Israel have lost their voting rights at UNESCO following no payment since the organization admitted the state of Palestine as its 195th country in October, 2011.
Both US and Israel stopped contributing to the world body as “punishment” for approving the majority vote that led to the recognition of the Palestinian state in 2011. This led to a loss of 22 million USD.
- Mobilizing for education: so that every child, boy or girl, has access to quality education as a fundamental human right and as a prerequisite for human development.
- Building intercultural understanding: through protection of heritage and support for cultural diversity. UNESCO created the idea of World Heritage to protect sites of outstanding universal value.
- Pursuing scientific cooperation: such as early warning systems for tsunamis or trans-boundary water management agreements, to strengthen ties between nations and societies.
- Protecting freedom of expression: an essential condition for democracy, development and human dignity.
– See more at: http://en.unesco.org/about-us/introducing-unesco#sthash.PBwno4ZU.dpuf