Days after a damning video released by Boko Haram exposed that over 3000 terrorists were still happily living in Sambisa forest, as watched observing Eid-el-Fitr in the recording, the Nigerian army has claimed 700 terrorists surrendered.
The controversial army chief Tukur Buratai claimed that the 700 surrendered after the army bombed Sambisa forest.
Nigeria had claimed it had liberated Sambisa forest and all other Nigerian territories from the terrorists however analysts including NewsRescue contributor, Dr. Perry Brimah had faulted the claim with serious allegations of collusion between Boko Haram and the Nigerian army, including an allegation that the army gave Boko Haram 2-weeks to flee Sambisa forest before an army invasion last year December.
Here is the report by Buratai in Vanguard:
by Kingsley Omonobi-Abuja.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai on Monday disclosed that over 700 Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in Borno.
The surrender of the terrorists according to Buratai followed the intensive pounding of suspected Boko Haram hideouts in the fringes of Sambisa Forest by the Nigerian Army artillery long range guns, supported by air assault by the air component.
Disclosing that the even more terrorists were in the process of surrendering, the Army Chief said it is a welcome development that will bring a sigh of relief to many Nigerians.
“It is a clear indication that the war on insurgency and terror is clearly being won. I want to congratulate not only our gallant troops and indeed the Navy and Airforce but all Nigerians.
“The terrorists are surrendering because of the concerted efforts of the Nigerian military. They are in total disarray, they are hungry and are looking for a way out” he said.