#BlackFriday Is #RedFriday In Nigeria: 200 Muslims Killed In Boko Haram Kano Mosque Bomb Attack

  • #RedFriday is one of the single most deadly terror attacks in recent world history

By Soni Daniel and Abdulsalam Muhammad

I don’t know how I survived — Chief Imam of Masalacin

The orgy of violence in the Northern part of the country by gunmen, suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents, continued yesterday, with the killing of over 200 Muslim worshippers, who were sent to their grave by a triple blast that rocked Kano Central Mosque, where the Emir of Kano normally leads prayers.

Saturday Vanguard gathered from eyewitness account that the two Improvised Explosive Device inside the mosque and one outside the mosque exploded simultaneously at the point worshippers had congregated for the Friday Jumat prayers.

According to the source, who was close to the Mosque, the deafening sound triggered pandemonium and stampede within and around the mosque.

“I personally counted 70 lifeless bodies inside the mosque and over 150 bodies were recovered from outside. The most painful aspect of the development was that most of the victims were children,” the eyewitness, who did not give his name told Saturday Vanguard.

Another source familiar with the history of the Mosque, said that there had been two previous attempts on the life of the former Emir near another Mosque that is about six kilometres away from the scene of yesterday’s attack but wondered why nothing was done by the security agents to address the threat.

The eyewitness said that many children who accompanied their guardians to the mosque were trampled during the ensuing confusion.

It was learned that there was sporadic gunshots after the blast, while several worshippers fleeing the scene were felled by stray bullets.

The Friday blasts triggered riot in the city as people in major markets hurriedly locked their shops to ward off looting in the volatile city that has enjoyed peace after it came under attack by Boko Haram on January 20, 2012.

Ambulances were seen conveying bodies and the injured to the three major hospitals in the city, while most of the mortuaries were filled to capacity at press time.

The cases of the injured rushed to hospitals were complicated by the strike embarked upon by health workers in the city over unpaid allowances and sundry issues with Federal Government.

However,  a security officer who preferred anonymity told Saturday Vanguard that, “The morgues are filled to capacity and we have counted many bodies so far.”

The security officer who claimed to have participated in the rescue operation, added that most of the victims were children.

It could not be ascertained at press time whether the attacks were aimed at the Emir of Kano, who had recently called on the people to take steps to defend themselves against Boko Haram.

A source close to the Emir, said that the influential Muslim and traditional ruler had travelled to Saudi Arabia via Paris for undisclosed reasons and was not at the Mosque at the time of the attack.

The acting state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Mustapha Abubakar could not confirm the casualty figure, when contacted, but said “We are still taking stock and official figure will be made available soon as it is ready.”

He added, “We have restored order in the city.”

The Kano blasts, which were one in a series to hit the ancient city came barely two days after two female suicide bombers hit Maiduguri killing more than 70 people and injuring others.

Boko Haram, which is trying to Islamise Nigeria, has so far killed no fewer than 2000 since it launched its murderous campaign in 2009.

I don’t know how I survived — Chief Imam of Masalacin

The Chief Imam of Masalacin Nakuka of Naibawa quarters, Alarama Muhammadu Inuwa, yesterday, shortly after the blasts, narrated how he survived the triple explosions that ripped through the Kano central mosque.

Inuwa who survived the blast alongside his 32 – year old son, Ahmad Inuwa, said “Allah is alive. What I witnessed today (yesterday) was a journey through the valley of hell.”.

The septuagenarian added “For two years I have not set my foot on this mosque. I was compelled by certain exigencies bothering on Islamic knowledge to come here, which brought me closer to death.

“We were set for the prayers when we had the first, it was accompanied with sporadic gunshot and the ensuing confusion triggered wailing among worshipers, who ran in different directions for safety.

“I saw lifeless bodies as I fled the scene. I saw blind beggars running for safety. I saw the old and the young being trampled,  and I saw people crying as if the end of the world has come. Indeed, it was an unpleasant experience. “How I escaped is still a mystery to me as my son I were involved in the race for life.”

– See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/bomb-blasts-kill-200-kano-central-mosque/#sthash.dPSZWn3u.dpuf