Monday, May 18, 2026
29.3 C
New York

China’s Chen Guangcheng ‘unable to meet US officials’ | NewsRescue

May 3rd, 2012 by Editor

May 3rd, 2012

Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng says he has been unable to meet US officials to discuss his desire to leave the country.

The blind activist, in hospital in Beijing, told the BBC he believed Chinese officials were preventing US envoys from visiting him on Thursday.

After he escaped house arrest last week, Mr Chen spent six days in the US embassy before emerging on Wednesday.

The issue continues to overshadow key talks between the US and China.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in Beijing to attend talks focusing on North Korea and Syria.

As the talks opened, Mrs Clinton did not mention Mr Chen by name but addressed the topic of human rights.

‘Threats to family’

Over the past two days there have been a number of reports, sometimes contradictory, about exactly why Mr Chen left the embassy and what information he had been given.

The US ambassador to China, Gary Locke, on Thursday rejected the suggestion that Mr Chen had been pressured into leaving.

“I can tell you unequivocally that he was never pressured to leave. He was excited and eager about leaving,” he said.

However, US state department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland acknowledged to reporters that “they as a family have had a change of heart about whether they want to stay in China”.

She added: “We need to consult with them further, get a better sense of what they want to do, and together consider their options.”

Mr Chen told the BBC by telephone from his hospital bed that since he left he has been made aware of threats issued to his wife and family while he was in the embassy.

“She told me our house has been installed with seven CCTV cameras inside the courtyard. There are people in and outside of our house and on the roof… They just eat and stay in our house, and they plan to build up electric wires around my house,” he told the BBC.

Although he initially said he wanted to stay in China, he changed his mind because he believed China had reneged on an agreement to guarantee his safety.

There is no official confirmation about the nature of any such agreement, but media reports from the US suggest that Mr Chen had been promised safety in a university town elsewhere in China.

“[On Wednesday] afternoon I thought they (the US officials) left. I looked for them, but couldn’t find them… Today I got to know that they were prevented from coming in, not that they are not coming in,” Mr Chen said.

The BBC’s Damian Grammaticas tried to get to see Mr Chen at the hospital on Thursday afternoon.

He says guards prevented him from reaching Mr Chen, with dozens of police surrounding the building.

Our correspondent says friends, lawyers and diplomats were unable to reach the activist, while US officials were waiting in the car park.

‘Universal rights’

Mrs Clinton has previously expressed her support for Mr Chen, who has been held under house arrest for almost two years.

As the bilateral talks opened, she addressed the topic of human rights.

“The United States believes that no state can legitimately deny the universal rights that belong to every human being – or punish those who exercise them,” the top US diplomat said.

President Hu Jintao, also speaking at the start of the talks, said it was not possible for China and the US to see “eye to eye on every issue”.

One Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said he had “no information” on Mr Chen’s request to leave China.

Chinese officials on Wednesday accused the US of interference in China’s domestic affairs and demanded an apology for housing Mr Chen at the US embassy.

Mr Chen had been at the embassy for almost a week after escaping from house arrest in his home village in the eastern province of Shandong.

He had planned his escape from house arrest for months. On 27 April, he scaled the wall the authorities had built around his house and was then driven hundreds of miles to Beijing.

Several people involved in Mr Chen’s escape have been detained or have disappeared in recent days.

The activist has spent seven years in prison or under house arrest after he exposed human rights abuses, including the way thousands of women were forced to have abortions under China’s “one-child-policy”.

Source: BBC

Related Posts:

Posted in US | No comments

Previous post: Dozens killed by attackers in Nigeria
Next post: World’s oldest blood cells found in ice mummy ‘Otzi’

Most Popular

Trump: Removing Iran’s Uranium is “Mostly PR”

U.S. President Donald Trump has publicly downgraded the urgency of recovering the 400 kg of 60%-enriched uranium still buried under the rubble of Iran's bombed...

US and Israel Prepping New Attack on Iran as Soon as Next Week – NYT

The United States and Israel are actively preparing for a renewed military assault on Iran, with strikes possible as early as next week, according to a New...

Trump, Tinubu Claim Killing of Top ISIS Terrorist Nigeria Already Said It Killed in 2024

U.S. President Donald Trump announced overnight that American special forces, working alongside the Armed Forces of Nigeria, had eliminated Abu-Bilal al-Minuki...

Emperor Trump Considers Annexing Oil-Rich Venezuela as Part of US

U.S. President Donald Trump is "seriously considering" turning Venezuela – with its estimated $40 trillion in oil reserves – into a permanent part of the...

Bibi Blames Bot Propaganda, Promises to End Need for US Cash

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he intends to wean Israel off American financial aid within a decade – and that the dramatic collapse in U.S....

Recent

Trump: Removing Iran’s Uranium is “Mostly PR”

U.S. President Donald Trump has publicly downgraded the urgency of recovering the 400 kg of 60%-enriched uranium still buried under the rubble of Iran's bombed...

US and Israel Prepping New Attack on Iran as Soon as Next Week – NYT

The United States and Israel are actively preparing for a renewed military assault on Iran, with strikes possible as early as next week, according to a New...

Trump, Tinubu Claim Killing of Top ISIS Terrorist Nigeria Already Said It Killed in 2024

U.S. President Donald Trump announced overnight that American special forces, working alongside the Armed Forces of Nigeria, had eliminated Abu-Bilal al-Minuki...

Emperor Trump Considers Annexing Oil-Rich Venezuela as Part of US

U.S. President Donald Trump is "seriously considering" turning Venezuela – with its estimated $40 trillion in oil reserves – into a permanent part of the...

Bibi Blames Bot Propaganda, Promises to End Need for US Cash

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he intends to wean Israel off American financial aid within a decade – and that the dramatic collapse in U.S....

Iran War Emptied US Missile Stocks, Senator Warns – Years to Replenish

The United States burned through so much of its missile inventory fighting Iran that replenishing the depleted stockpiles will take years – and could...

IDF Soldier Puts Cigarette in Virgin Mary Statue’s Mouth

A photograph showing an Israeli soldier placing a cigarette in the mouth of a Virgin Mary statue in southern Lebanon has triggered widespread outrage online....

Iran Warns UAE: Stop Aiding US-Israeli Aggressors

Iran's Foreign Ministry has issued a sharp public warning to the United Arab Emirates, calling on Abu Dhabi to halt cooperation with parties hostile to Tehran...
spot_img

Related Articles

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Popular Categories

spot_img
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x