Oct. 10, 2013
That Boko Haram is a real threat to the security and sanctity of lives in Nigeria is no longer news. It is also not news that since the advent of the Boko Haram insurgency, many precious lives have been cowardly and unjustly taken mostly directly and sometimes indirectly through the ungodly activities of the insurgents hiding under the guise of religion to perpetrate their evil trades.
Their claim of fighting a Jihad on behalf of Allah is not only laughable and insane, it is satanic. Wanton blood-letting and destruction of lives is alien to the Quran; and it is necessary that we propagate this truth across the spheres to those ignorant Muslim wannabes who are quick to stand religious truth on its head. I suggest that the government, as part of its amnesty proposal, freely distribute copies of the Quran translated into different languages so that the hapless young men who are easily falsely indoctrinated may know the truth. The government has a role to play in the re-orientation of our youths. Islamic religious leaders can no longer pretend that there is a fire on the mountain. The government, actively aided by Islamic religious leaders, should immediately embark on enlightenment projects across Northern Nigeria.
There are 114 Chapters of the Holy Quran, and in none of these was the killing of innocent people ordered. How could anyone justify the gruesome murder of over fifty innocent students of College of Agriculture (Gubja, Yobe State), or of other thousands of lives lost since the Boko Haram insurgency started? Acts like these are abhorrable in the sights of Allah. I call on the ignorant men and women propagating the ungodly activities of Boko Haram to seek forgiveness from Allah and desist from further blood-letting. They should put Islam in the proper perspectives. There is no controversy: Islam is a religion of peace. Arsonists, terrorists, murderers and evil doers have no place in Islamic jurisprudence. Here are a few excerpts from the Holy Quran that may help shed light on the mindset of ignorant people regarding religious faiths:
- Quran 2 verse 84 (Al-Baqarah): “Shed no blood amongst you, nor turn out your own people from your homes.”
- Quran 17 verse 33 (Al-Isra): “… Nor take lives – which Allah has made sacred – except for just cause.”
- Quran 2 verse 43: “Be steadfast in prayer, give Zakat and bow down your heads with those who bow down in worship.”
- Quran 2 verse 256: “Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clear from error. Whoever rejects false gods and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold that never breaks. Allah hears and knows all things”
- Quran 2 verse 30: “Behold”, thy Lord said to the angels, “I will create man on earth.” The angels said, “Will Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood whilst we do celebrate your praises and glorify your Holy Name?” Allah replied, “I know what you know not.” Behold, we said to the angels, “prostrate unto Adam” They prostrated except Iblis. He said, “Shall I prostrate to one whom Thou didst create from clay?” He said, “Seest Thou?” This is the one who thou has honored above me. If Thou will not but respite me to the Day of Judgement, I will surely bring his descendants under my sway – all but a few.” Allah said, “Go thy way; if any of them follow thee, surely Hell will be the recompense of you all. And arouse those whom thou canst among them, with thy seductive voice. Make assaults on them with thy cavalry and thy infantry. Mutually share with them wealth and children, and make promises to them. As for my servants, no authority shall thou have over them.”
It is instructive to note that a lot of people propagate false religious beliefs because of their faulty mindsets. It is necessary that we all develop spiritual mindsets that seek the truths and uphold same. Spiritual mindsets are Holy and Pure. The war the Holy Prophet Muhammed (Peace and blessings of Allah be Upon Him) waged was against those who threatened his life and his divine mission. It was against those who sought to physically frustrate the will of Allah. The war was on the direct instruction of Allah.
In the course of his mission, the Holy Prophet was persecuted and he fled from Mecca to Medina on the instruction of Allah. He sojourned in Medina for seven years. Allah prepared the minds of the people of Medina and they embraced Islam with love. Allah strengthened the Holy Prophet and he returned to Mecca and achieved victory over his persecutors. He did not seek after vengeance; he only fought to preserve his life, the lives of the early adherents of Islam, and the right to freely propagate his Allah-given religious mandate. His speech at the end of the war was inspired by Allah.
Quran 109: Al-Kafirun (The Unbelievers)
“In the name of Allah, The Most Gracious and Most Merciful,
Say O ye that reject Faith!
I worship not that which ye worship.
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
And I will not worship that which ye have been worshipping.
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
To you be your way and to me mine.”
We pray to Thee, The Merciful Allah,
Forgive and blot out sins
Bestow on mankind holy and pure hearts,
And protect us from Satan (The accursed).