May 15, 2013
NewsRescue– The federal government is sending in an entire brigade of troops from its armed force to join ranks with the few troops who have been defending few local governments in southern Borno against the superior armed insurgent Boko Haram forces.
The president of the federation, Goodluck Jonathan announced the immediate draft of combat troops to support the engagement up north in his state of emergency address to the nation yesterday.
NewsRescue had on May 8th, published an extensive report detailing the need for urgent and immediate drafting of more troops to the embattled areas for meaningful defeat of the terrorist menace, as well as the institution of a state of emergency in these states, evacuation of citizens to temporary refugee centers and other emergency security updates. In our May 13th release, Nigeria: Top Level Sabotage Behind Military and Civilian Casualties in Boko Haram War – Military Sources [PART 1], we went further to describe what military sources could only describe as top level sabotage of the mission, with its being run with insufficient troops “to fail.”
A Brigade is a military formation consisting of 3-6 battalions. As NewsRescue reported May 13th, the JTF was asking for at least 2 battalions, but were offered only one company(an 8th of a battalion) by the CAS, General Azubuike Ikhejirika, whose tenure was extended – a first in Nigeria’s history, and is yet to visit the two attacked barracks’.
Boko Haram as we detailed and the president confirmed in his globally televised speech yesterday, have gained so much grounds, establishing their “government,” with the abolishing of public parastatals, institutions and “western” education schools in most northern local governments in the state. Our May 6th report, NewsRescue– Boko Haram: Nigeria Losing Borno, detailed the consequences of this reality and dared to ask if Nigeria should just cede Borno to this successful, un-countered insurgency.
Nigerian troops have told NewsRescue they are very happy with the turn of events. It has increased their morale and at last they can do what they are trained to do, and execute missions against the cowardly terrorists.
The risk of the rancor that was growing in the Military, due to the initial delay in form government response was dire. It can be recalled that in Mali, March last year, when the civilian government was weak in tackling them, and Tuareg rebellion kept killing the military men and gaining grounds, the mutinying military staged a coup and overthrew the “weak government” of Amadou Toumani Touré. Nigeria’s president was under an equivalent risk due to the rancor we reported and had to act fast in the best interest of the nation, the army and the mission against the insurgency.
It can be seen that though the ruling PDP politicians obviously did not advice a declaration of an emergency state, and few hours before the presidential announcement, were still telling the media that there will be no such declaration- See:
In a statement by its spokesman, Olisa Metuh, the PDP said the statements issued by the CPC and ACN on the alleged plan by the Federal Government to impose emergency rule in some troubled states were merely noise-making. -PREMIUMTIMES
– It was the military boys who the president invited from the battle field that pressed it upon him to immediately initiate this and send in proper reinforcements exigently. Public awareness of the true state of affairs also played its important role.
Meanwhile, the CAN president, Ayo Oritsejafor, has given a late call of support for the declaration. Nigerian new youth political party, Sovereign National party [SNP] gave a surprising bold declaration of support for the efforts, promising to “volunteer youth” to assist the emergency departments. The Nigerian vocal Muslim group against terror, Muslims Against Terror has also worded its support of these serious governments efforts against Boko Haram. In their interesting release they compared Boko Haram to Syrian terrorists as also being cannibals, regretting that Boko Haram just beheaded two of their clerics at Ngamdu, and shot dead the Borno CAN secretary.
A leader of a US backed Syrian anti-government terrorist force, Khalid Al Hamad, was seen in a video and admitted via Skype to TIME to having eaten a Syrian government soldiers heart in “anger.”