- Ex-President says he is talking with Boko Haram and with government initiative can secure the girls’ release
- Says Goodluck Jonathan government not giving him the go ahead to negotiate their freedom
June 13, 2014
A former President Olusegun Obasanjo has blamed the Federal Government for not giving him the liberty to intervene in the abduction of the Chibok girls.
He said, “I have ways of reaching them, (Boko Haram) but I have not been given the go ahead.
“I believe that some of them will never return. We will still be hearing about them many years from now, some will give birth to children of the Boko Haram members, but if they cannot take care of them in the forest, they may release them”.
He also stated that the girls might have been separated and kept in different locations.
It would recalled that Obasanjo had previously tried to negotiate with the insurgents, especially in September 2011 after members of the sect bombed the United Nations headquarters in Abuja.
He flew to Maiduguri, Borno State where he met with relatives of the Boko Haram founder, Mohammed Yusuf, who the police had illegally killed in their custody in 2009.